Thursday, May 20, 2010

Your Message in One Word

What's your message?

What's the one thing you want to convey through your writing? Or at least the major thing.

To focus on.

Could you put it in just one word?

I've been thinking a lot about this.

I thought I wanted to get people excited about the Word. See things they'd never seen before. Make them hungry and thirsty. In my writing and my teaching.

I still want that.

But it's not one word.

Hunger? Thirst?

Those are one words.

Nah.

I want my readers to laugh sometimes. Laughter is healing.

Laughter. Humor. Healing.

Hmmm. Those are pretty good one words for a nurse turned writer.

But none are my one word.

The single most important concept for me in my faith walk has been that of the sovereignty of God. Knowing that He's in control. That He doesn't let go. No matter what. That He weaves everything into His perfect plan.

But "sovereignty of God" is still not one word.

"Sovereignty" is.

I like it.

But that's still not "it."

I think I've figured it out, though.

My. One. Word.

Rest.

Physical. Emotional. Spiritual.

Yep. I think that's it.

My one message.

My one word.

Rest.

What's yours?

Copyright © 2010 by Sandra Heska King 

8 comments:

  1. Satisfaction (*not* gratification...) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra,

    I like the "one" word concept...I have to believe that my "one" word will change as I continue to grow in my walk with the Lord and experience with writing. My "one" word for this week is "whisper."

    Great blog entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this idea! I'll have to get back to you though, for my brain is a bit tired this evening:) Hmm, maybe the one word would be 'peace'.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Heidi: I like that feeling of a job well done as a writer--and time well spent as a reader. Good word.

    @Lynda: You are definitely an encourager. And I'm loving your new blog.

    @kim: I think you're right about our focus changing as we grow in our faith and our craft. I love the word, "whisper." God whispers to us. We can whisper to others, subtly connecting them with the Great Whisperer.

    @Karen. Peace. It's a good word. It's a good place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend, Sue, sent this comment via email:

    Mine is "reconciliation."

    There are a lot of people who fled Christianity/the church because of negative early experiences. Me included. I took a long road back to Christ. I want to help people reconcile with God, discover how much they are loved, forgiven and treasured--not villified and condemned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a WOW word, Sue.

    Discovering how we are "loved, forgiven, and treasured." So important.

    Our passions, our one words, seem to come straight from our life experiences, our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm...I guess encouragement. But encouragement for a number of things. Another great post!

    ReplyDelete